- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Microwave Vegetarian Spanish Rice Recipe
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Canned stewed tomatoes||16 Ounce, chopped and drained with liquid reserved (1 Can)|
|Long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 519 Calories from Fat 116
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.3%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.3 mg
Sodium 1962 mg81.8%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 9 g17.8%
Vitamin A 16.6% Vitamin C 57.8%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a medium size (2-quart) microwaveable casserole or dish, to melt and heat the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
2. Add the onion and green pepper to the butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring once, until limp.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, rice and seasonings coating them with butter.
4. Measure the reserved tomato liquid, adding water to equal 2 cups and add to the vegetables and rice.
5. Cover the dish with a glass lid or with plastic wrap and return to the microwave.
6. Cook rice for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir once halfway through cooking time.
7. Allow the dish to stand covered for 5 minutes so that the flavors are absorbed.
8. Serve the rice straight from the casserole and accompany with a hearty stew.