- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spring onions||6 , chopped|
|Young spinach leaves||9 Ounce, tough stems removed, rinsed|
|Long-grain rice||2 Ounce, cooked (Except Basmati)|
|Fresh dill||4 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh parsley||4 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Pine kernels||4 Tablespoon|
|Feta cheese||2 Ounce, crumbed, drained|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Filo pastry sheets||40|
|Butter||9 Ounce, melted|
Calories 1995 Calories from Fat 785
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g138.1%
Saturated Fat 42 g210%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 149.8 mg
Sodium 1242.4 mg51.8%
Total Carbohydrates 254 g84.7%
Dietary Fiber 16.3 g65.1%
Sugars 20.1 g
Protein 44 g87.5%
Vitamin A 207.3% Vitamin C 92.7%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 31.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Stack up the filo sheets. Cut out 6 inch squares to get 40 such squares.
3) Set aside 8 square sheets and cut out 8 4-inch circles.
4) Cover the filo sheet shapes with a damp kitchen towel so they do not stick to each other. Set aside.
2) In a saute pan, heat oil and cook spring onions for about 2 minutes. Add in rinsed spinach leaves and continue to cook they till turn soft.
3) Squeeze all the water out of the spinach once cool. Transfer into a large mixing bowl.
4) To the mixing bowl, add cooked rice, pine kernels, raisins and feta cheese.
5) Grate 1/4 of the nutmeg into the spinach mixture along with black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
6) Grease a 4-inch tartlet tin with butter. Arrange 1 square sheet of filo in the tin and lightly brush it over with butter. Repeat the procedure with 7 more sheets.
7) Grease three more 4-inch tartlet tins and repeat the entire above process.
8) Divide the spinach filling into four equal portions for each tin. Spread each portion evenly over the filo sheets and place a filo sheet circle over it.
9) Brush the top lightly with butter and place another filo sheet circle over it. Fold in the edges of the top layer and brush it with butter, too.
10) Place the pies on the baking tray. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the pies turn crispy, golden brown.
11) Let the pies cool down for about 5 minutes before unmoulding.
12) Serve the Spanakopittas garnished with a sprinkling of cheese.