- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
The Greek Cook: Spanakopita (Spinach Pie) Recipe Video
|Feta cheese||400 Gram|
|Fresh onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Leek||1⁄2 , chopped finely (Optional)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||500 Gram|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)|
Calories 643 Calories from Fat 385
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.1%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 99 mg33%
Sodium 1205.5 mg50.2%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 201.7% Vitamin C 54.3%
Calcium 33.4% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash spinach 4-5 times to remove dirt and drain it in colander.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of salt, mix well and set it aside for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, squeeze the spinach and chop it finely.
4. In a large bowl, combine spinach, feta cheese, dill, onion, leek, egg, and olive oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
6. For dough, in a separate bowl combine flour, egg, olive oil, white wine, pepper, and salt. Mix well.
7. Add water, as needed and knead it into fluffy dough. Divide dough into half for top and bottom.
8. On floured surface, roll dough into a thin sheet and place it in a greased baking dish.
9. Pour the mixture on top. Fold and cover as shown in the video with the top sheet.
10. Using a knife make small cuts on top for steam to escape and apply some oil.
11. Sprinkle sesame and cover it with foil.
13. Pop it in a preheated medium to high oven and bake for 15 minutes.
14. Cut in slices and serve hot.