- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spaghetti and Meat Balls Recipe
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||13 Ounce|
|Spaghetti||10 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Caned tomato puree||6 Ounce|
|Italian tomato paste||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 208 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7%
Saturated Fat 0.66 g3.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 139.9 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.8%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 8 g15%
Vitamin A 16.1% Vitamin C 18.6%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
To make the spaghetti:
1. In a large kettle or saucepan bring three quarts water and one tablespoon salt to a boil.
2. Into the saucepan lower eight ounces of spaghetti, holding it and pressing down as you ease it into the water gradually so that it doesn't break.
3. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally twelve to fifteen minutes until tender but still chewy.
4. Drain and rinse with warm water.
To make the sauce :
5. In a pan cook onion and garlic in olive oil until golden.
6. Add tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for about 30 minutes.
7. Add remaining ingredients and cook with cover very slowly for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
To make the meat balls:
8. In a bowl combine 1 pound ground beef with 1 egg, 1 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons minced parsley and 1 clove of garlic, minced.
9. Mix well and form into 16 balls and brown on all sides in hot olive oil.
10. Add to the sauce and cook together for 30 minutes longer.
11. On a warmed platter place the spaghetti and serve with sauce and meat balls.