- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spaghetti with Turkey Sausage, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, and Tomatoes Recipe
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lean sweet turkey sausage||1 Pound, cut in 2-inch pieces|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Red onion||1 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), peeled and thinly sliced|
|Red bell peppers||2 Large, cored, seeded and thinly sliced|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Dash|
|Canned whole tomatoes||35 Ounce, roughly chopped (1 Can)|
|Fresh basil/2 teaspoons dried basil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), snipped|
|Fresh oregano/1 teaspoon dried oregano||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 731 Calories from Fat 134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.9 mg25.3%
Sodium 1041.8 mg43.4%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 43 g85.8%
Vitamin A 78.8% Vitamin C 186%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a Dutch oven, sear the sauseage in 1 tablespoon olive oil over a medium-high heat, until golden, turning 2-3 times, remove and keep aside.
2) In the same pot, saute the onions in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until they begin to soften.
3) Stir in the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
4) Stir in the red bell peppers and red pepper flakes, stir occasionally and saute for about 5 minutes until softened.
5) Stir in the tomatoes, bring a boil, then lower the heat, add gently stir in the sausage.
6) Simmer partially covered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally,
7) Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until it is tender, drain.
8) Place the cooked pasta on individual serving plates, spoon over the sauce and serve immediately.