- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southwestern Beef Stew Recipe
|Beef roast||1 1⁄4 Pound, cut into pieces|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Oregano leaves||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||4 Medium, divided|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green chilies||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Green onion tops||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sliced|
Calories 230 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g7.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 81.1 mg
Sodium 68.6 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.6%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 32 g64.3%
Vitamin A 21.4% Vitamin C 101%
Calcium 3% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat let the oil heat.
2. Put in beef pieces, onion and garlic; cook and stir until beef is browned.
3. Pour off drippings and combine oregano, cumin, red pepper and salt and sprinkle over beef.
4. Put in 3 cups of the tomatoes and the water, stirring to combine.
5. Lower heat and cover tightly letting it simmer 1 hour and 55 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Drain green chilies and reserve liquid.
7. Cut chilies into 1/2-inch pieces and add to beef mixture.
8. Combine cornstarch and reserved liquid and gradually stir into stew and cook, uncovered, until thickened.
9. Stir in remaining tomatoes and garnish with green onion tops.