- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southwestern Beef And Bean Lasagna Recipe
|Extra lean ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Canned pinto beans||16 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Cumin seeds/1/2 teaspoon ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Seeded minced jalapeno pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|No salt added tomato sauce||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Canned diced green chilies||4 Ounce, undrained (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned non fat cottage cheese||8 Ounce (1 Container)|
|Shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, divided (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Uncooked lasagna noodles||8 Ounce|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 660 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33.1%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 1194.6 mg49.8%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58.1%
Sugars 18.4 g
Protein 42 g84.3%
Vitamin A 52.9% Vitamin C 84.6%
Calcium 54% Iron 41.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. If using whole cumin seeds, in a non-stick pan, broil them over medium heat, stirring frequently until fragrant. Tip into a small bowl and set aside for sauce. Omit this step if using ground cumin.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for cheese mixture, mix well and set aside until assembling lasagna.
3. Spray a 13- inch x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F
5. Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
6. Add beef and sauté until fat is rendered and meat is well browned.
7. Drain off fat.
8. Stir in beans and take off the heat. Set aside.
9. In another skillet, heat oil.
10. Add onions, jalapeno and garlic and sauté until soft and golden.
11. Tip in the remaining ingredients, adding the roasted or ground cumin at this stage.
12. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring.
13. Reduce heat and let simmer, for 20 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
14. To assemble the lasagna, in a greased baking dish, spoon sauce to cover bottom
15. Arrange a layer of noodles on sauce.
16. Spoon and spread half the beef mixture over noodles.
17. Repeat layering in this order - noodles, cheese mixture, beef mixture and noodles
18. Top with remaining sauce
19. Scatter Cheddar cheese.
20. Carefully pour water around edges.
21. Cover dish with foil, sealing at edges.
22. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
23. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
24. Cut into serving portions and serve from the dish onto dinner plates at the table.
25. Accompany with a salad of your choice.