- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Traditional Southern Fried Chicken Recipe Video
|Whole roasting chicken||1 , cut into pieces|
|Buttermilk||6 Cup (96 tbs), divided|
|Peanut oil||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||5 Teaspoon, divided|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 1591 Calories from Fat 1182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 133 g204.5%
Saturated Fat 26.6 g133%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 236 mg
Sodium 1756 mg73.2%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.4%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 54 g108.8%
Vitamin A 11.1% Vitamin C 0.68%
Calcium 4% Iron 26.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Add 4 cups buttermilk to bag; seal.
3. Refrigerate 2 hours, turning occasionally.
4. Pour oil into a large deep fryer; heat to 350 degrees.
5. While oil heats, combine remaining 2 cups buttermilk and eggs in a large, shallow bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
6. Combine flour, 1 tablespoon salt, and peppers in another shallow dish, stirring well.
7. Drain chicken; discard marinade.
8. Sprinkle remaining 2 teaspoons salt evenly over chicken.
9. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; dip in egg mixture.
10. Return chicken to flour mixture; coat well.
11. Fry chicken at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until done.
Serves 4 - 6