- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Greens And Pasta Recipe
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peeled chopped jicama||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Canned 30% less salt chicken broth||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen black eyed peas||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Uncooked radiatore pasta/Other medium-shape pasta||4 Ounce|
|Chicory head/Mustard greens / kale||1 , washed, ribs removed, thinly sliced|
|Hot pepper sauce||3 Drop|
Calories 848 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.6%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 192 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 147 g49.1%
Dietary Fiber 23.9 g95.6%
Sugars 9.6 g
Protein 47 g93.6%
Vitamin A 50.2% Vitamin C 131.2%
Calcium 25.8% Iron 105.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cook pasta according to package directions, without salt. Drain water and set aside.
2) In a large saucepan to heat oil.
3) Add bell pepper, onion, jicama, celery and garlic to sauté.
4) Place over medium heat to cook for 3 minutes.
5) Pour in chicken broth, tomato paste, oregano and black pepper to stir.
6) Increase heat to bring to a boil.
7) Cover with a lid and allow simmering over low heat 20 minutes or until the peas are tender.
8) Fold in chicory to saucepan. Put a cover and cook on low until wilted, about 3 minutes.
9) Add pasta to stir in. Thoroughly cook the pasta.
10) Season with red pepper sauce.
11) Garnish as desired and serve.