- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Corn Chowder Recipe
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Ears of corn/1 package, 16 ounce frozen whole kernel corn||10 Medium|
|Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Potato||1 Medium, cubed|
|Carrots||2 , shredded|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Light cream/Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||4 Dash|
|Instant mashed potato flakes||4 Tablespoon (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
Calories 950 Calories from Fat 297
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.7%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.3 mg
Sodium 933.5 mg38.9%
Total Carbohydrates 154 g51.5%
Dietary Fiber 17.9 g71.4%
Sugars 27.5 g
Protein 29 g58.6%
Vitamin A 107.5% Vitamin C 87.2%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 25.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cook the bacon till it is crisp. Drain it and reserve the drippings. Crumble the cooked bacon and set it aside.
2) In a stockpot or a 6-quart Dutch oven, cook the onions in 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon dripping. Drain the cooked vegetable.
3) If fresh corn is being used, slice the kernel tops from the ears of the corn with a sharp knife. With the knife's dull edge, scrape the cobs.
4) Add the corn, chicken broth, carrots, potato and the cooked onion to the Dutch oven. Bring the concoction to a boil and let it boil for about 10 minutes or till the potato is tender.
5) To prepare the roux, pour just enough reserved bacon drippings into a skillet of 10-inches to reach 1/4-inch.
6) Stir in the flour till the mixture is smooth.
7) Cook over medium flame, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or till the roux has turned golden brown.
8) To the vegetables in the Dutch oven, add the cream and milk and heat thoroughly.
9) Stir in the hot pepper sauce, pepper, salt and lemon juice.
10) Properly whisk the roux into the vegetable mixture and then add the crumbled bacon. Stir well.
11) Cook over low flame till the preparation has thickened and is thoroughly heated.
12) Serve hot after garnishing with bay leaves.
If preferred, instant potato flakes can be added to the preparation, 2 tablespoons at a time, till the soup has reached the desired consistency.