- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Barbequed Chicken Recipe
|Chicken||4 Pound, cut into pieces (2 Kilogram, 1 Whole)|
|For southern barbecue sauce|
|Tomato puree||12 Ounce (350 Milliliter / 1 Can)|
|Cider vinegar||8 Fluid Ounce (1 Cup / 240 Milliliter)|
|Canola oil||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 Cup / 120 Milliliter)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1/3 Cup / 80 Milliliter)|
|Brown sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 Cup / 75 Gram)|
|Golden syrup/Molasses||2 Ounce (1/4 Cup / 60 Gram)|
|French mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Lemon juice||2 Fluid Ounce (1/4 Cup / 60 Milliliter)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5146 Calories from Fat 2910
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 324 g499.2%
Saturated Fat 67.3 g336.5%
Trans Fat 1.2 g
Cholesterol 1215.6 mg
Sodium 2608.2 mg108.7%
Total Carbohydrates 162 g54.1%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28.1%
Sugars 116.6 g
Protein 376 g752.1%
Vitamin A 72% Vitamin C 128.6%
Calcium 40% Iron 138.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut chicken into pieces. As 2kg/4lb is a large bird, the breast may be cut into 3 or 4 pieces each side.
3. Heat barbecue to moderate and oil the grill plate. Lightly sear chicken pieces on all sides over direct heat about 4 minutes each side. Lift the chicken onto a plate.
4. Place 1 1/2 cups of the sauce into a bowl and place by the barbecue. Place a sheet of baking paper over the grill bars and prick at intervals between the runs to allow ventilation. Place the chicken onto the baking paper and brush well with the sauce.
5. Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes, then lift the lid, brush with sauce, turn chicken, brush underside with sauce, close lid and cook 10 minutes. Repeat this process every 10 minutes, a total of approximately 4-5 times or for 40-50 minutes until chicken is rich brown in colour and cooked through. If chicken is cooking too quickly, reduce heat by turning down gas or rake the coals to the sides. Heat extra sauce in a small saucepan on the barbecue.
6. Serve chicken with hot sauce and jacket potatoes cooked on the barbecue with the chicken. Accompany with a salad.