- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
South Of The Border Bean Pot Recipe
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Pound, washed and soaked|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Minced sweet peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Green One)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can Of 1 Pound And 12 Ounce, Do Not Drain)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Crushed coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Minced parsley||2 Teaspoon|
|Honey/Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed hot red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2300 Calories from Fat 461
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g80.8%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g36.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3562.3 mg148.4%
Total Carbohydrates 365 g121.7%
Dietary Fiber 89.1 g356.2%
Sugars 23.7 g
Protein 117 g234.9%
Vitamin A 136.6% Vitamin C 275.2%
Calcium 72.2% Iron 240.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 275° F.
2. Drain beans and rinse well under running tap water
3. Tip the drained beans in a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients.
5. Place casserole in the preheated oven and bake, for, 2 1/2 hours, stirring occassionally.
6. Cover the casserole with its lid or with double foil and continue baking for another 2 to 2 1/2 hours until beans are soft but not mushy, stirring one in a while and adding a little hot water if the liquid has dried
7. Serve bubbling hot from the pot.