- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
South African Nectarine and Lemon Chicken with Pilaf Rice Recipe
|Olive oil||80 Milliliter|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 , diced|
|Nectarines||2 , halved, pitted|
|Chicken stock||800 Milliliter, hot|
|Lemon||1 , finely grated rind and jucie|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom||2 , split in half|
|Fresh bay leaf||2|
|Long grain rice||300 Gram, rinsed|
|Parsley||1 Teaspoon (to serve)|
Calories 799 Calories from Fat 292
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.7%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 123.9 mg41.3%
Sodium 416 mg17.3%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g28.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.2%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 39 g78.8%
Vitamin A 15.6% Vitamin C 41.1%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 23.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas mark 6.
2. Heat 20ml oil in a frying pan, season chicken and sauté over high heat until golden (3-5 minutes). Set aside.
3. Process garlic, ground spices and half the onion in a food processor until finely chopped.
4. Heat 40ml oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add onion mixture and sauté until fragrant (2-3 minutes), then add lemon juice, 300ml stock and chicken, season to taste and stir to combine.
5. Scatter nectarines over the chicken and spoon a little cooking liquid over the nectarines. Cover, bring to the simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through and the nectarines are tender (5-10 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate flameproof casserole dish, add butter, remaining spices and remaining onion and stir over medium heat until starting to caramelize (5 minutes).
7. Add rice, stir to coat, and add remaining stock. Season to taste, bring to the simmer, then cover and bake until rice is cooked (15 minutes).
8. Stir through lemon rind.
9. Serve with the nectarine chicken, scattered with parsley.