- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
South African Chicken Pie Recipe
|Chicken||3 Pound (1 Whole)|
|White peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||3 , peeled and sliced|
|Onions||2 , peeled and quartered|
|Celery sticks||3 , diced|
|Cooked ham slices||3|
|Hard boiled eggs||2 , sliced|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground mace||1 Pinch|
|Pastry||1 (For 9 Inch 1 Crust 1 Pie)|
|Egg/Milk||1 Tablespoon (For Glaze)|
Calories 926 Calories from Fat 471
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.7%
Saturated Fat 16.6 g83.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 427 mg
Sodium 896.4 mg37.4%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.7%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 81 g161%
Vitamin A 173.5% Vitamin C 20.9%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 24.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut the chicken neatly into quarters.
2) In a large skillet, put the chicken pieces, seasoning, vegetables and enough water to cover the contents. Cover and cook over low flame for about 30 minutes. Strain the stock and set it aside.
3) Cut the meat from the chicken into large chunks and cut the cooked vegetables.
4) In a fireproof baking dish, arrange alternate layers of chicken, vegetables, ham and eggs.
5) With butter, flour and 1 cup of the reserved chicken stock, make a sauce. Add the lemon juice, sherry, sugar and mace and cook till the mixture has thickened. Stir in the egg yolk and heat once again without brining to a boil, check the seasoning.
6) Pour the sauce all over the chicken and cover with pastry.
7) From the center of the pie, cut a line towards each of the four corners and fold each triangle back, leaving an open square.
8) With milk or a beaten egg, glaze the pie and bake for about 30 minutes.
9) Serve hot.