- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sourdough Bread Recipe
|Whole wheat flour||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bulgur wheat/Raw oatmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sourdough starter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 1233 Calories from Fat 348
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.7%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152.3 mg
Sodium 755.9 mg31.5%
Total Carbohydrates 194 g64.7%
Dietary Fiber 23.3 g93.4%
Sugars 27.6 g
Protein 37 g74.7%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 0.29%
Calcium 22.2% Iron 57.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) To prepare this bread two days of preperation is required. In a large mixing bowl, add 3 1/2 cups of the whole wheat flour on the 1st evening; scald the milk, pour over the flour, rinse out milk pan with 1/2 cup cold water and add into the flour and milk mixture.
2) Add bulgur or oatmeal, blend well, leave until lukewarm; add the starter and mix well; cover the bowl with a cookie sheet;
the mixture will bubble ,stir once in a while and allow to stand for 24 hours.
3) On the 2nd evening , add eggs, salt, honey, oil and cinnamon, mix well; add 3 cups whole wheat flour, blend well.
4) On floured board, knead the dough adding 3 cups of the white flour gradually, knead until the dough is no longer sticky.
5) Place the dough in greased bowl and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled for about 1 1/2 hours; punch down and divide into 3 or 4 loaves, place in the greased pans; allow rise until double in size for about 30 minutes.
6) Bake in the preheated oven at 350 Deg F for about 45 min.
7) Slice and serve on a nice dish.