- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sophie Grigson'S Sweet Avocado Fritters Recipe
|Caster sugar||50 Gram|
|Plain flour||75 Gram|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (To Serve)|
|Lime wedges||3 (To Serve)|
Calories 510 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.5%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 106.7 mg4.4%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.8%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 20.2%
Calcium 3% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut the avocados in half and peel them. Remove the stone and then slice them thinly across the width so that crescents are formed.
2) Mix the avocado slices gently with the caster sugar and rum.
3) To prepare the batter, sift together the salt and flour. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
4) Add the rum and egg yolks and then mix in the water very gradually to make a smooth batter that has the consistency of a thick-ish single cream.
5) Allow the mixture to rest for about 30 minutes.
6) Right before using the batter, whisk the egg whites till they are stiff.
7) Add the oil to the batter and then fold in the egg whites.
8) Heat the oil for deep frying till it hits a temperature of 385 degrees.
9) Drain the avocado slices and dip each slice in the batter.
10) Coat evenly and deep-fry in the hot oil till puffed and golden.
11) Drain briefly on kitchen paper.
12) Dust the avocado fritters with icing sugar, place on a decorative serving platter and serve immediately with a squeeze of lime. Makes a good dessert.