- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Somerset Casserole Recipe
|Elbow macaroni||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese slices||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Cubed cooked ham||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cherry tomatoes||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 391 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.7%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.5 mg
Sodium 201.9 mg8.4%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 26 g51.7%
Vitamin A 9.9% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 27.4% Iron 5.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease an 8-cup baking dish or casserole with a little butter.
2. Cut half the cheese slices into small pieces and remaining half into 6 slices each and keep separately.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F
4. Boil the macaroni in salted water until cooked al-dente or tender-crisp. Follow the packet directions for quantity of water and time.
5. Drain the macaroni and keep warm.
6. At the same time, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over a medium low flame.
7. Add the flour, mustard and pepper together and stir into the butter, sautéing until it begins to bubble.
8. Reduce the flame to low and gradually add the milk, while stirring constantly until well blended.
9. Simmer, stirring, until the sauce thickens and come to a boil.
10. Add the cut cheese pieces and stir until melted.
11. Take pan off the heat and gently fold in the warm macaroni and ham.
12. Turn the macaroni and sauce into the greased baking dish
13. Arrange the cheese strips in a pretty pattern on top.
14. Place dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and cheese has melted and lightly browned.
15. While the macaroni bakes, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter or margarine.
16. Add the cherry tomatoes and sauté shaking the pan, until skins begin to blister.
17. Remove baking dish from oven wearing oven gloves.
18. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and serve hot.
19. For the British touch, accompany casserole with pickled onions and beets if you like.