- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Soft Pretzels Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (105 To 115 F)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.3%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g20.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.7 mg
Sodium 542.2 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.3%
Sugars 12.8 g
Protein 13 g26.2%
Vitamin A 4.7% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 30.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water.
2. Add sugar, butter, egg, salt, and 3 cups flour to the yeast starter and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Add enough additional flour with your hand and bind to form a stiff dough.
3. Cover bowl tightly with foil and place in the refrigerator for 2 hour or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F
5. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted work surface and lightly knead until soft.
6. Divide dough in half and portion each half into 16 equal pieces.
7. Roll each piece into a 20-inch long strand
8. Shape into looped pretzels and arrange on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving space of 4 inches between each
9. Blend the yolk and 2 tablespoons water and give the pretzels an egg wash using a pastry brush.
10. Cover the baking tray with a clean kitchen cloth and place in a warm area for about 30 minutes until the pretzels rise and double in size.
11. Sprinkle course salt over the pretzels if you like.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
13. Remove and transfer the pretzels onto a wire rack to cool.
14. Serve the pretzels for breakfast or enjoy as a snack.