- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
In the Kitchen with Ken - Smothered Redfish Recipe Video
|For the sauce|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick used)|
|Bacon grease||1 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Crab stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Swamp fire seafood boil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped sweet onion||1|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Cooked lump crab meat||1 Pound|
|Crab claws||6 Medium (Cooked)|
|For the redfish fillets|
|Fish fillets||6 Medium (Red fish)|
|Cornbread stuffing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Zatarain's southern crisp||4 Ounce (1/2 of One box used)|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ground pepper||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As needed for deep frying)|
Calories 1133 Calories from Fat 703
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g122.4%
Saturated Fat 18.8 g93.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 209.4 mg69.8%
Sodium 735.6 mg30.7%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 55 g109.5%
Vitamin A 26.3% Vitamin C 33.3%
Calcium 17.2% Iron 26.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Clean and rinse the red fish fillets. Set aside.
2. In a cast iron skillet, add the butter,bacon grease and flour. Stir on medium heat until you create a medium colored light roux.
3. Add the cream and crab stock, stir well to combine.
4. Season with seafood boil, cayenne pepper and white pepper. Stir everything together. Add a little more water, if too thick.
5. Add chopped sweet onion, cloves of garlic and chopped bell peppers.
6. Stir everything together and let it simmer.
7. Meanwhile, set up three separate bowls for dredging. In the first bowl place the flour, in the second bowl the buttermilk, in the third bowl the cornbread stuffing, southern crisp with seasonings (crushed red pepper and fresh ground pepper).
8. Dredge in each bowl, then fry the fillets in vegetable oil until golden brown.
9. Remove on to a paper towel and set aside.
10. To the simmering sauce, add crab meat and claws. Give it a little stir for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
11. Smoother the red fish fillet in the crab sauce and serve hot.