- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Slow Roast Turkey Recipe
|Turkey||15 Pound (7 kilogram, 1 whole)|
|Forcemeat||1 Cup (16 tbs) (traditional, adjust quantity as needed)|
|Sausage meat||1 Pound|
|Savoury sausage meat stuffing||3 Cup (48 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Dripping/Butter||3 Ounce (75 gram)|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||1⁄4 Pound|
|Streaky bacon rashers||1⁄4 Pound (100 gram)|
|Watercress||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Back bacon||1⁄2 Pound (225 gram, for rolls)|
|Chipolata sausages||1 Pound|
|Giblet gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed for serving)|
|Cranberry sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for serving)|
Calories 739 Calories from Fat 400
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g68.4%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g71%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 284.4 mg
Sodium 712.2 mg29.7%
Total Carbohydrates 1 g0.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.21 g0.84%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 78 g156.8%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 0.71%
Calcium 5.6% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Draw and clean the turkey.
2) Thaw oven-ready turkey slowly for up to 48 hours. Keep sealed in vacuum bag until ready to stuff.
3) Preheat oven to low temperature (325°F, 170°C or Gas No. 3).
4) Prepare the necessary stuffings in a bowl.
5) Clean and rinse inside of the turkey with cold water. Pat dry with a clean cloth.
6) Spoon the prepared forcemeat stuffing into the neck cavity. Do not pack too tightly.
7) Pull the neck to the front of turkey and secure under with a skewer.
8) Fill savoury sausage meat stuffing into the body cavity and seal the ends with skewer.
9) Tie the legs firmly together.
10) Rub turkey skin with coarse salt and dot with dripping or soft butter.
11) Wrap the breast with trimmed rashers of streaky bacon.
12) Loosely wrap completely with kitchen foil.
13) Put in a greased large roasting tin.
14) Place the tin on a low shelf in the oven.
15) Add about 2 lb (900 g) to the weight of the bird to allow for stuffing and calculate the cooking time as follows: 7-10 lb (3-4 1/2 kg) bird needs 3-3 1/2 hours 10â€”14 lb (4 1/2-6 1/2 kg) bird needs 3 1/2-4 hours 14-20 lb (6 1/2-9 kg) bird needs 4 1/2-5 hours
16) Lift the foil and brush little hot fat from the tin on the bird. Do not remove the bacon rashers.
17) As the turkey cooks, towards end of cooking time, remove the foil and bacon.
18) Baste the breast and sprinkle little flour on top.
19) Put in oven and bake to 375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5 till brown.
20) Garnish with watercress.
21) Serve with bacon rolls and chipolata sausages, giblet gravy and cranberry sauce.