- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread (Fluffy, Moist Version) Recipe Video
|Corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (pure yellow corn meal preferred not the boxed variety)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (White Lily brand)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Optional)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg||2 , beaten|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter-flavored shortening||3 Tablespoon, melted (crisco)|
|Bacon grease/Butter||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 801 Calories from Fat 445
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.7%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g40.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72.9 mg
Sodium 556.8 mg23.2%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 33.5 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A 4.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 19.8% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In 9 inch cast iron skillet add butter and place into the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a large bowl, add cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (if using). Whisk together till combined.
4. Make a well in the center of the bowl and Pour the buttermilk.
5. Add vegetable oil, Crisco and eggs and mix well till it is smooth and just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Remove the skillet carefully and pour batter into it.
7. Use spatula to smooth the cornbread and shake the skillet to even out the batter.
8. Bake for around 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
9. Remove from the oven, rub butter on it and let it sit for a few minutes before cutting.
10. In a serving plate, serve this bread hot with choice of main dish or enjoy as it is as snack.