- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Singaporean Almond Chicken Recipe
|Red onion||1 , thinly sliced|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry/Sherry vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken thighs||12 Ounce|
|Chicken thighs||12 Ounce, boned, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (375 Gram)|
|Sliced mushrooms||1 Ounce, dried|
|Dried mushrooms||1 Ounce, sliced (25 Gram)|
|Corn flour||2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||8 Tablespoon|
|Cold chicken stock/Water||8 Tablespoon|
|Tomato puree||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||4 Fluid Ounce (For Shallow Frying, 125 Milliliter)|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce|
|Whole blanched almonds||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Lean cooked ham||4 Ounce, cut into thin strips (125 Gram)|
|Cooked ham||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Canned sliced bamboo shoots||8 Ounce, drained (1 Can, 250 Gram)|
|Bamboo shoots||8 Ounce, drained|
Calories 556 Calories from Fat 383
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.8%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 71.5 mg
Sodium 358.3 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.5%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 29 g57.1%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 5.2%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 10%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a bowl, add onion, soy sauce, sherry or vinegar, sesame oil and five-spice powder. Whisk all together.
2) Place the chicken pieces and stir well.
3) Cover with a plastic wrap or lid and place inside refrigerator to marinate for 20-30 minutes, by turning the chicken occasionally.
4) In a jug, mix corn flour with 2 tablespoons of the stock or water to make a paste. Stir in the remaining stock or water and the tomato puree. Set aside.
5) In a saucepan with boiling water, cook the dried mushroom for about 10 minutes, according to the instructions on the drum. Drain water and place the mushrooms aside.
6) In a wok, add vegetable oil to heat up until hot.
7) Shallow-fry the almonds to golden brown.
8) With a slotted spoon, remove the almonds on paper towel to drain oil.
9) Leave 1 tablespoon oil in the wok, and transfer the remaining in a bowl.
10) Pour in chicken along with marinade to stir-fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes.
11) Stir in the corn flour mixture.
12) Bring the liquid to a boil by increasing the heat.
13) Continue stirring until the sauce turns thick and glossy.
14) Fold in mushrooms, ham and bamboo shoots.
15) Stir-fry all the ingredients for couple of minutes more until the chicken turns soft.
16) In a serving plate, transfer the chicken preparation. Sprinkle fried almonds on top, just before serving hot.