- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Simple Country Style Lamb Dinner Recipe
|Lamb shanks||3 Pound (4 In Number)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared|
|Onions||8 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||6 Medium, pared and quartered lengthwise|
|Cabbage head||1 Small|
|Canned sliced beets||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Gravy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 1016 Calories from Fat 422
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.1%
Saturated Fat 20 g100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229 mg
Sodium 1556.4 mg64.8%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.4%
Sugars 24.7 g
Protein 73 g145.1%
Vitamin A 309.4% Vitamin C 145.3%
Calcium 20.1% Iron 60.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a kettle or a Dutch oven, brown lamb shanks. Move within the kettle/oven to one side, and use the empty side, to stir garlic in the juices of the lamb until soft.
2. Add water , salt, oregano and cover. Allow the entire mixture to simmer for an hour until meat it soft and tender.
3. Add the potatoes and onions around the meat in the kettle. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add carrots and cook further fo 14 minutes.
5. Cut cabbage in quarters and surround the meat in the kettle. Cook for 15 minutes longer until both meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
6. In a small saucepan, heat the beets and allow it to sweat. Drain.
7. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables placing on a heated serving platter. Arrange the beets around the meat. Add some of the potatoes and sprinkle with paprika.
8. The meat can be served by itself or with a prepared gravy
9. Serve with rice or potato mash on the side