- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Simple Breakfast Strata with Sausage Recipe Video
|Half n half||24 Tablespoon (11/2 cups)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|French bread||8 Ounce (6-8 ½ slices of day old bread)|
|Chorizo sausage||8 Ounce|
|Anaheim pepper||1 Medium, roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped|
|Poblano pepper||1 Medium, roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded (or 11/2 cups (or a blend of Mexican cheese))|
|Bottled salsa||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Canned chunky salsa of whatever brand you prefer, pureed in a blender or food processor)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 474 Calories from Fat 265
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45.1%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g70.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 257.7 mg
Sodium 1140.7 mg47.5%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.8%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 23 g45%
Vitamin A 34.8% Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 28.4% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cook the chorizo in a skillet and crumble. When cooked, drain on a paper towel.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half & half, salt, pepper and cumin.
3. Grease an 8”x 8” casserole dish with butter.
4. Next, place a layer of bread on the bottom. Tear pieces of bread to fill any large gaps. Spread the cooked chorizo and then ½ of the cheese on top of the bread.
5. Add a second layer of bread and again, fill any large gaps with torn pieces of bread. Spread the chilies and then the rest of the cheese on the second layer.
6. Slowly add the egg mixture over the bread. The egg mixture will slowly spread throughout the casserole. If all of the egg mixture doesn’t fit, that’s OK. Don’t overfill.
7. Loosely cover with plastic wrap or foil and then place a plate or other flat object over the casserole. Weight with a couple of 12-16 ounce cans. This will help the egg mixture uniformly spread throughout the dish.
8. Place in the refrigerator for eight to twelve hours.
9. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
10. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes, until the Strata is set and the top has browned. The Strata should rise like a soufflé. A knife inserted will come out clean.
11. Allow to rest for five to ten minutes.
12. Cut and serve, garnishing with salsa and cilantro.
This recipe is best made with a lighter French bread, than heavy artisan bread.
If you don’t have time to roast your own peppers, a four ounce can of Anaheim peppers can be substituted.