- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Simnel Cake Recipe
|Marzipan||8 Ounce (225 Gram, Store Bought)|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sifted (225 Gram)|
|Baking powder||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Ground mixed spice||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Ground mace||1 1⁄4 Pinch (Or A Large Pinch)|
|Softened butter||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Milk||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Raisins||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Currants||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Sultanas||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Mixed candied peel||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, rinsed, dried and quartered (50 Gram)|
|Beaten egg white||1 (To Glaze)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4705 Calories from Fat 1580
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 180 g276.5%
Saturated Fat 93.2 g465.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 927.1 mg
Sodium 1002.2 mg41.8%
Total Carbohydrates 745 g248.5%
Dietary Fiber 26.7 g107%
Sugars 465.2 g
Protein 65 g129.8%
Vitamin A 104.8% Vitamin C 252.4%
Calcium 134.8% Iron 51.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Let the oven heat to 350°F (180°C/Gas 4) and grease and line a 15 cm (6 in) round tin.
2. Roll out a third of the marzipan into a circle slightly-smaller than the tin.
3. In a bowl combine together the flour, baking powder, salt, spice and mace.
4. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
5. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, adding 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the flour with each egg.
6. Beat the mixture thoroughly after each addition.
7. Using a metal spoon, fold in the rest of the flour a little at a time, alternating with the milk.
8. Fold in the fruit.
9. Into the prepared tin pour half the mixture and smooth with a palette knife.
10. Place the circle of marzipan on top.
11. Pour in the rest of the cake mixture.
12. Let the cake bake for 30 minutes and then reduce the heat to 300°F (150°C/Gas 2) and cook for a further hour until a skewer comes out clean.
13. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully turning out the cake on to a wire rack to cool completely.
14. Distribute the remaining marzipan into 2 halves.
15. Break one half into 11 pieces and roll each in your palm to form balls.
16. Roll out the other half into a circle to fit the top of the cake.
17. Brush the top of the cake with egg white and place the marzipan circle on top.
18. Brush a little more egg white on to the bottom of each ball and place around the edge of the cake.
19. Tie a yellow ribbon around the outside of the cake and secure it carefully with 2 pins.