- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sicilian Vegetable Salad Recipe
|Broccoli head||1 Pound (Or 1 Small)|
|Cauliflower head||1 Pound (Or 1 Small)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large|
|Anchovies||2 Ounce (Tin)|
|Capers||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Tuna in oil||3 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1503 Calories from Fat 1064
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g185.3%
Saturated Fat 17.7 g88.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 834.6 mg34.8%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g23.9%
Dietary Fiber 28.6 g114.5%
Sugars 24 g
Protein 54 g107.7%
Vitamin A 137.8% Vitamin C 1372.5%
Calcium 53% Iron 52.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring 3 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high flame.
2) In the meantime, trim the broccoli and cauliflower and cut them into florets. Wash the bell pepper and pat dry. Core, halve and seed. Cut the pepper into slices measuring ¼-inch in thickness. Wash the basil or parsley, if being used, and with a paper towels, pat dry. Chop just enough to measure 2 tablespoons. Juice the lemon and drain the anchovies and capers.
3) Peel the garlic and in a blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade, chop it. Add half of the anchovies, keeping the remaining aside for future use. Add the capers, tuna, tuna oil, olive oil and lemon juice. Process till the mixture is smooth.
4) To the boiling water, add the broccoli and cauliflower and blanch for 3 to 5 minutes or till the vegetables have turned crisp-tender.
5) Put the broccoli and cauliflower to the colander and place under cold running water to refresh. Drain.
6) In a large shallow bowl, arrange the broccoli, cauliflower and pepper slices. Pour the dressing all over the vegetables. If preferred, garnish with chopped basil or parsley.
7) Serve as desired.