- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shrimp Creole with White Rice Recipe
|Lemon||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Raw shrimp||2 Pound (Shelled And Deveined)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green pepper||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||12 Ounce (1 Lb, 12 Oz)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|File powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 181.3 mg
Sodium 473.4 mg19.7%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12.2%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 26 g51.8%
Vitamin A 27.2% Vitamin C 70.3%
Calcium 10.2% Iron 25.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In large saucepan bring 1 quart water to boiling.
2. Add lemon slices, black peppercorns and shrimp, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes.
3. Drain shrimp reserving 1 cup cooking liquid and in the same saucepan sauté bacon over low heat until crisp.
4. Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and crumble.
5. To the bacon fat, add butter, garlic, onion, green pepper, parsley, celery and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6. Add reserved shrimp liquid, bacon, tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper, bay leaf and thyme.
7. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
8. Just before serving, stir in file powder and shrimp and bring to boiling.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Serve over hot, cooked white rice.
This dish may be made in advance and frozen until ready to use.