- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shrimp Creole - A New Orleans Classic Recipe Video
|White onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Green bell pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Garlic cloves||3 , minced|
|Green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Olive oil/Peanut oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (or canola oil)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned whole peeled tomatoes||15 Ounce|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce|
|Seafood stock/Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shrimp||3 Pound, peeled and deveined|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Tobasco sauce||To Taste|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Dash|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
Calories 616 Calories from Fat 182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.5%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 517.7 mg172.6%
Sodium 2618 mg109.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.4%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 76 g151.2%
Vitamin A 68% Vitamin C 122.6%
Calcium 28.6% Iron 63%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Mix seafood oil and water together.
2. In a heated skillet, add oil and flour and cook on low heat, until it turns to a light golden brown color.
3. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns to a color of melted chocolate.
4. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, green onion and garlic, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
5. Saute over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
6. Add tomatoes, cook for another 3 minutes.
7. Add whole tomatoes and the stock, water mixture, and simmer for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add lemon juice, parsley, tobasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper, stir to combine all ingredients well.
9. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes, until the shrimps turn pink.
10. Garnish with chopped green onion tops and serve hot with rice and french bread chunks.