- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shrikhand - Indian Flavored Yogurt Recipe Video
|Powdered sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the kesar pistachio srikhand|
|Warm milk||2 Tablespoon|
|Cardamom powder||1 Pinch|
|Pistachios||1 Teaspoon, broken|
|For the mango flavored srikhand|
|Mango pulp||2 Tablespoon|
|For the pineapple flavored yogurt|
|Pineapple chunks||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Mango pieces||3 Small, small chunks|
|For the all-fruit srikhand|
|Blueberries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pineapple chunks||1 Teaspoon|
|Apple||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, cubes|
|Pomegranate seeds||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 278 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.6%
Saturated Fat 5 g25.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg
Sodium 108 mg4.5%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.82 g3.3%
Sugars 40.6 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 23%
Calcium 28.9% Iron 1.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Strainer/muslin cloth - To drain out the water from the yogurt
1. Hang the yogurt in a strainer or muslin cloth to drain out all the water from it.
2. In a bowl add the yogurt (after all the water is drained out of it). To this add powdered sugar and mix to dissolve the sugar well into the yogurt.
3. Divide the sugared yogurt into four separate serving bowls.
To prepare the kesar pistachio shrikhand:
4. In a small bowl, dissolve a few strands of saffron in the warm milk and add it to one of the bowls of yogurt.
5. Sprinkle some cardamom powder and add the pistachios. Mix well and the kesar pistachio shrikhand is ready.
6. Top it with a sprinkle of cardamom powder and a couple of broken pistachios before serving.
To prepare the mango flavored shrikhnad:
7. To another serving of shrikhand, add mango pulp, cardamom powder and mix well to serve. Top it with a few mango chunks before serving.
To prepare the pineapple flavored shrikhand:
8. Add some pineapple chunks and a pinch of cardamom powder to the third serving of shrikhand. Mix well before serving.
To prepare the all-fruit shrikhand:
9. To the fourth serving of shrikhand, add blueberries, raisins, cranberries, pistachios, almonds, grapes, pineapple chunks, apple, pomegranate seeds, mango chunks and mix gently.
10. Add a pinch of cardamom powder and the saffron dissolved in milk. Mix well and serve topped with few chunks of the fruits.
11. Serve the flavored shrikand topped with your favorite fruits.
Regular or plain yogurt is best to prepare shrikhand. Using fat free or low fat yogurt changes the consistency of the shrikhand.
Traditionally yogurt is hung in muslin cloth to drain out the water.
For regular vanilla flavor, add 1 tsp of vanilla extract into 1 cup of shrikhand.
The water drained out from the yogurt may be stored and used to knead naan or can be added in the Gujarati khadi.