- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Sifted flour||225 Gram|
|Rice flour||120 Gram, sifted|
|Fine castor sugar||120 Gram|
|Caster sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Dredging)|
|Candied orange peel strips/Almonds - 4-5, blanched, peeled and split||4 , finely sliced|
Calories 875 Calories from Fat 409
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g71.8%
Saturated Fat 29.1 g145.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121 mg
Sodium 71.9 mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.4%
Sugars 34 g
Protein 8 g16.7%
Vitamin A 29.8% Vitamin C 45.3%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 16%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven
2. Prepare the flan rings
3. Sift flour with the rice flour with salt and pour into a bowl
4. Place butter and sugar on a board or marble slab and combine with your hands to make a workable mixture. Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture to make soft dough. Divide this into 2 portions
5. Press the dough into the prepared flan rings with your hands to make a 3/4" thick, smooth round crust in the flan ring
6. Pinch edges of the crust with your finger and thumbs and prick all over with a fork.
7. Sprinkle the crust with castor sugar and sprinkle the crust with the leftover orange peel or almonds. Mark the prepared crust into 8 equal wedges.
8. Bake in the centre of preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 190°C (375°F), cover with butter paper and bake for a further 10 minutes till golden brown in color.
9. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Remove shortbread from tins and place on wire rack to cool completely.
10. Cut into wedges and serve for tea