- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shoo-Fly Pie Recipe Video
|For pie crust|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Non-hydrogenated margarine||6 Tablespoon|
|Ice water||2 Tablespoon|
|For pie filling|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||3 Teaspoon, powdered|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Clove||1 Teaspoon, powdered|
|Non-hydrogenated margarine||4 Tablespoon|
|Brown rice syrup/Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 1333 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.7%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.5%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 784.2 mg32.7%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g89%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.2%
Sugars 171.5 g
Protein 5 g9.5%
Vitamin A 27.1% Vitamin C 0.65%
Calcium 56.9% Iron 75.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
For Pie Crust :
1. In a food processor, mix together the flour and margarine until crumbly.
2. Dribble in water and mix until dough pulls together.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For Pie Filling :
4. Into a saucepan bring water, molasses and baking soda to a boil then remove from heat.
5. In a bowl mix together the flour and spices-cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
6. Add the margarine and rice syrup or honey to the flour and mix well.
7. Set aside 3 tablespoon of flour mixture for the crumble topping and sprinkle ¼ of the flour mixture in small crumbles into the unbaked pie shell.
For assembling and making the pie :
8. Pour the molasses into the pie shell and add the remaining flour mixture into the pie shell.
9. Gently push down any flour mixture that is not submerged in the molasses.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
11. Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle the 3 tablespoon of crumble mixture over the top of the pie.
12. Return the pie to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
13. Then remove and check if the crumbles on the top are browned and a toothpick inserted into the pie comes out clean.
14. Let it cool on a cooling rack and then serve.