- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sherried Lentil Soup Recipe
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 Small, peeled and diced|
|Lentils||1 Ounce, sorted and washed (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Defatted chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Preferably Homemade)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Potato||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Salted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and minced (Large Clove)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 243 Calories from Fat 97
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.9%
Saturated Fat 3 g15.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.1 mg
Sodium 535.5 mg22.3%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.7%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 10 g19.1%
Vitamin A 85.7% Vitamin C 37.9%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 15.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Set aside 1 tablespoon of chopped onion for tempering the soup.
2. In a large heavy bottomed preferably cast-iron skillet or soup pot, heat the oil over moderate heat.
3. Add the onions and carrots and sauté until the onions are soft but not browned.
4. Stir in the lentils, broth, and water
5. Bring to a boil
6. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Add the potato and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the lentils and potatoes can be mashed easily between thumb and forefinger.
8. Strain soup through a colander catching the liquid into a large bowl.
9. Return the liquid to the pot.
10. Turn the lentil-vegetable mixture into a food processor or liquidizer jar.
11. Blend into a smooth or slightly grainy texture puree
12. Return the puree into the pot with the cooking liquid and blend well.
13. Adjust seasoning to taste.
14. Re-heat soup over low heat.
15. At the same time, in a small skillet, melt the butter
16. Add reserved onion and minced garlic and saute until just soft but not browned.
17. Stir in cumin and sauté less than a minute until it releases its flavor.
18. Stir this tempering into the soup.
19. Ladle soup into warmed bowls
20. Add a splash of sherry and serve immediately.