- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shepherd's Pie with Guinness Recipe
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Carrots||5 , peeled and chopped|
|Ground turkey||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Light sour cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Reduced sodium beef broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , scrambled|
Calories 433 Calories from Fat 190
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.3%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 130.9 mg
Sodium 260.7 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.9%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 201.6% Vitamin C 22.4%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1) Peel and chop up potatoes and carrots, also chop up the onion and garlic, set aside.
2) Combine the turkey, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Heat up a skillet to high, add olive oil and place turkey in skillet. Brown, which takes about 5 minutes. Then add onions and carrots. Wait for veggies to cook for 5 minutes and finally add garlic and turn heat to a medium low.
3) Bring large pot of water up to boil and add salt and peeled and chopped potatoes. Cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
4) While potatoes and meat are cooking, make the Guinness Gravy on a medium high heat in a sauce pan. Add butter until melted and then add flour. Cook for 3-4 minutes to cook out the raw flour flavor. Whisk in the Guinness, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Slowly combine so there are no lumps. Add to meat mixture slowly, until desired consistency.
5) Drain potatoes and then sift potatoes through a sifter or mash. In a separate bowl combine sour cream, butter, beef broth, egg and salt and pepper. Once combined add into mashed potatoes.
6) Take a 9x13x2 casserole dish, spray with non-stick cooking spray. First add a layer of the meat mixture then top with potatoes. Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes until potatoes have become a golden brown. Let rest on counter top for 15 minutes.
7) Serve hot!