- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Rava Sheera or Sooji Halwa - Semolina Pudding Recipe Video
|Semolina||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Ghee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use according to your taste)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided (A pinch reserved and kept aside for the garnish)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Tablespoon (To garnish)|
|Dried cranberries||1⁄2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Vanilla extract/Tulsi patta||2 Drop (Optional)|
|Almonds||1 Tablespoon, slivered (To garnish)|
|Pistachios||1 Tablespoon (To garnish)|
|Tulsi patta||4 Medium, torn (To garnish)|
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.1%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g36.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.1 mg
Sodium 45.8 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.5%
Sugars 24.6 g
Protein 8 g16.6%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 0.6%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan boil 3 cups of milk, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Once boiled, set aside.
2. In another pan, heat 1/4 cup of ghee (clarified butter) and roast the semolina (rava) on a medium heat. Continue to stir till it starts to bubble.
3. When the rava bubbles, continue to stir and cook it a little more. After a few minutes, add the cardamom powder, raisins and dried cranberries and stir.
4. Once the semolina is cooked, slowly and carefully add the boiled hot milk, stirring continuously. The semolina would start getting thicker.
5. Continue to stir till the semolina thickens more. Once the semolina is lumpy and thick and does not stick to the spatula, it is done.
6. Reduce the heat and add the sugar. Stir well to blend in the sugar to the cooked semolina (sheera).
7. Turn off the heat when the sugar is well blended in to the sheera. Finally add a few drops of vanilla extract (optional).
8. Garnish with slivered almonds, pistachios and a few torn tulsi leaves (sweet basil leaves)followed by sprinkles of cardamom powder and serve on auspicious occasions.
Besides semolina, this sweet dish may be prepared using whole wheat flour or split green gram.