- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Shanghai Chicken On Shanghai Rice Recipe
|Oil/Butter / both||4 Tablespoon|
|Onions||12 Medium, sliced|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger root||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Garlic||16 Clove (80 gm)|
|Oyster sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
Calories 301 Calories from Fat 94
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.3%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.1%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 57.3 mg
Sodium 627.2 mg26.1%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.4%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 18 g35.9%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 44.4%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 10.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a skillet, melt butter and oil and saute onions along with pepper till onions turn transluscent.
2) Mix in Soy Sauce and place the chicken thighs on the skillet with its skin facing down.
3) Sprinkle grated ginger and minced garlic over the upward-facing side.
4) When the skin side starts browning, flip over the thigh pieces. Continue searing on low to avoid the garlic and ginger from burning.
5) Add sliced onion over the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
6) Flip the thighs over again and drizzle the top with oyster sauce. After 5 minutes, turn the chicken pieces again.
7) Cook for another 5 minutes before turning them over once more and drizzling with Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir in the sauce into the onions.
8) Continue cooking the chicken for about 60 minutes till the onions have let out out alltheir juices to form a reduced sauce and the chicken thighs have browned well on both sides.
9) Serve the Shanghai Chicken along with Steamed Rice.