- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sev usal (Chaat) - Matar Chaat Recipe Video
|Yellow dry peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green dry peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (As required to boil the peas)|
|For the ragda|
|Tomatoes||1 , chopped|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pav bhaji garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the seasoning|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||5 Medium|
|Date and tamarind chutney||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Cilantro and mint chutney||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|For the garnish|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄2 Teaspoon, chopped|
Calories 117 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.7%
Saturated Fat 0.74 g3.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 444.6 mg18.5%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.7%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 5 g10.7%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 5.5%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl soak the yellow dry peas and the green dry peas i water for about 4 to 5 hours (or overnight).
2. Take a pressure cooker and cook the soaked green and yellow peas for about 10 to 15 minutes (5 to 6 whistles from the pressure cooker). Add salt in water while cooking. Once cooked, set aside.
3. Take a saucepan and heat it with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Add the cumin seeds and when they begin to crackle, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes till tender. Then add the ginger and garlic paste and stir.
5. Add turmeric powder, red chili, and paw bhaji garam masala. Stir it well, cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
6. Reduce to low heat and add all the boiled peas along with all the liquid into the tomato gravy. Cover and let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Into a serving bowl ladle a serving of the ragda and top it with the chutneys.
8. Garnish the sev usal with chopped onions, cilantro and sprinkles of sev. Serve right away.
Use a little bit of sugar in the ragda if you are not using all the chutneys.