- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sesame Shrimp Toast - Dim Sum Favorites Recipe Video
|Raw shrimp||14 Ounce, peeled and de-veined (Keep the shells for fish stock)|
|Lemongrass||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Thai chilies||2 Medium, freshly minced|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, grated and juiced|
|Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon (Used to tighten the mixture if too thin) (Optional)|
|White bread slices||8 Medium (Crusts discarded)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm)|
|Fresh lime||1 Medium|
|Oil/Canola or peanut oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Thai chili sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as a dip)|
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.8%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.6 mg
Sodium 944.4 mg39.3%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 19 g38.5%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 9.2%
Calcium 15.2% Iron 19.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a food processor, add the shrimp, 1 egg, lemongrass, garlic cloves, Thai chilies, fish sauce, the juice from the grated ginger and a pinch of salt.
2. Process until the mixture forms a thick paste. If it’s too thin, add cornstarch and mix. Set aside.
3. On a chopping board cut the crusts of the bread. Spread about a tablespoon of the shrimp mixture on the bread slices and dip the shrimp side into a saucer with sesame seeds to coat it well.
4. In a cast iron skillet heat about a couple of inches of oil and make sure the oil is at the right temperature (you should be able to fry a bread piece in 30 seconds, that is about 350 F). If it is too hot, the shrimp won’t cook. If the oil is too cool, the bread will absorb the oil and will result in a greasy toast.
5. When the oil is ready, carefully place the toast in the oil, shrimp side down. Cook for about 30-45 seconds or until its golden brown.
6. Turn over and cook the other side for the same amount of time. When done, gently take it out and drain on a tray with paper towels.
5. To serve, cut the toast into triangles or sticks, garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and enjoy with Spicy Thai Chili sauce and fresh lime wedges.