- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Semolina and Nut Halva Recipe
|For the halva|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce, softened (115 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce (115 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Finely grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon (Rind Of 2 Oranges)|
|Orange juice||30 Milliliter (30 Milliliter)|
|Semolina||6 Ounce (1 Cup Or 175 Grams)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground hazelnuts||4 Ounce (115 Grams Or 1 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||12 Ounce (350 Grams Or 1 1/2 Cups)|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 , halved|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (Of 1 Lemon)|
|Orange flower water||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Unblanched hazelnuts||2 Ounce, toasted and chopped (50 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Blanched almonds||2 Ounce, toasted and chopped (50 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Grated orange rind||2 Tablespoon (Rind Of 1 Orange)|
Calories 633 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.3%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 109.8 mg
Sodium 129 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 61.2 g
Protein 10 g20.2%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C 25.3%
Calcium 16.6% Iron 11.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Lightly cream the butter in a bowl. Add the sugar, orange rind and juice, eggs, semolina, baking powder and hazelnuts and beat the ingredients together until smooth.
3. Turn into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes until just firm and golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
4. To make the syrup, put the sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan with 575 ml / 18 fl oz / 2 1/4 cups water and the half cinnamon sticks. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved completely.
5. Bring to the boil and boil fast, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Measure half the boiling syrup and add the lemon juice and orange flower water to it. Pour over the halva. Reserve the remainder of the syrup in the pan.
6. Leave the halva in the tin until the syrup is absorbed then turn it out on to a plate and Scatter with the nuts.