- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seitan Cutlets and Mashed Potatoes Recipe Video
|For the rustic mashed potatoes|
|Yukon gold potato/Red potato||6 , washed and diced|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Non-hydrogenated vegetable spread/Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened almond milk/Unsweetened soy milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sea salt||2 Pinch|
|Garlic clove||2 , peeled (Optional)|
|For the mushroom gravy|
|Baby portabella mushrooms||10 Ounce|
|Whole wheat flour/Arrowroot powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced finely (Optional)|
|Vegetable broth/Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tamari/Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Italian seasoning||2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (to dilute if needed) (Optional)|
|For the seitan savory cutlets|
|Onion||1 Small, diced|
|Seitan strips||16 Ounce|
|Soy sauce/Tamari sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|For steamed green beans|
|Fresh green beans||12 Ounce, washed and trimmed|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
Calories 714 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.8%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1623.9 mg67.7%
Total Carbohydrates 111 g36.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.3%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 51 g101%
Vitamin A 13.2% Vitamin C 10.2%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedLarge pot or wok with steaming basket and lid
For the Rustic Mashed Potatoes:
1. Wash and remove eyes from potatoes. Do not peel. Cut into 1-2 inch cubes. In a medium sized sauce pan, bring potatoes and enough water to cover potatoes to boil (approximately 8 cups).
2. When the potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes), drain (you can keep this water for vegetable stock). Put the potatoes back into sauce pan. Add a couple of tablespoons of margarine or oil, 1/2 cup of rice, soy or almond milk and mash with potato masher (a pastry cutter also works well).
3. If the potatoes are too dry, add more margarine/oil and/or milk until desired consistency is reached. Add salt to taste.
For the Mushroom Gravy:
4. Clean and slice the mushrooms. In a sauce pan, cook the mushrooms and onions in water until soft – about 3-5 minutes. While this is cooking, whisk flour and 1 cup water or broth until smooth (pour the water into flour and whisk constantly).
5. Add the flour mixture, tamari and Italian seasonings to the mushrooms. Bring gravy to a boil and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often.
6. If the gravy is too thick, add some of the remaining water or broth. Season.
For the Seitan Savory Cutlets:
7. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1-2 tablespoons of water. Cook the onions and mushrooms until onions are soft.
8. Add separated strips of seitan, tamari, spices, and water. Stir and cover. When seitan is heated, and liquid is nearly evaporated, it becomes ready to serve.
For the Steamed Green Beans:
9. Place the steaming basket and water in the pot or wok and bring to boil. Scatter beans in basket, cover and steam for 4-5 minutes. The beans should be bright green and slightly crunchy.
10. Plate everything together and serve warm.