- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seeded Herb Bread Recipe
|Wheat germ||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Celery seed||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2861 Calories from Fat 826
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g144.9%
Saturated Fat 17 g85.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 645.7 mg
Sodium 1766.2 mg73.6%
Total Carbohydrates 416 g138.8%
Dietary Fiber 39.2 g156.8%
Sugars 38.6 g
Protein 102 g203.8%
Vitamin A 24.7% Vitamin C 8.6%
Calcium 68.9% Iron 225.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat the milk, water, and oil until very warm. Stir into first mixture. Add 2 eggs and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the whole wheat flour and enough additional white flour to make a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
4. Put in an oiled bowl, turning to oil the top. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the dough. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled.
5. Punch the dough down, cut off one-fourth and divide in three parts. Shape each into a 10-inch rope and braid.
6. Shape remaining dough into a loaf and put in an oiled 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan.
7. Top with the braid and press down slightly. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Brush with the remaining egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with celery seed.
8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
9. Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. If too brown cover with foil for the last 10 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack to cool.