- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seasoned Black Eyed Peas Recipe
|Black-eyed peas||1 Pound|
|Canadian bacon||1⁄4 Pound, fried|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce|
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.3 mg
Sodium 926.6 mg38.6%
Total Carbohydrates 79 g26.4%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.5%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 26 g51.3%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 59.9%
Calcium 11.1% Iron 53.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the black-eyed peas and let it soak in water for about 45 minutes.
2) In a saucepan, put to boil the drained peas and clear water, enough to cover the peas.
3) Next, add in the bacon, onion, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, garlic, red pepper pod and tomato paste.
4) Turn down the flame and cover the saucepan as the water comes to a rapid boil.
5) Cook till about three hours or until all the vegetables and the peas are cooked through.
6) Season with salt and pepper.
7) Serve hot with steamed rice.