- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seasoned Black Eyed Peas Recipe
|Black eyed peas||1 Pound|
|Canadian bacon||1⁄4 Pound, fried, chopped|
|Irish potatoes||4 Medium|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Red pepper pod||1|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or As Required)|
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.2%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.3 mg
Sodium 1205.9 mg50.2%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g22.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.8 g47.2%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 24 g48.5%
Vitamin A 23.8% Vitamin C 77.2%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 50.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse the black-eyed peas and let it soak in water for about 45 minutes.
2) In a saucepan, put to boil the drained peas and clear water, enough to cover the peas.
3) Next, add in the bacon, onion, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, garlic, red pepper pod and tomato paste.
4) Turn down the flame and cover the saucepan as the water comes to a rapid boil.
5) Cook till about three hours or until all the vegetables and the peas are cooked through.
6) Season with salt and pepper.
7) Serve hot with steamed rice.