- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seafood Ragout With Rice And Peas Recipe
|White fish fillet||2 Pound (Firm Variety, From Such Fish As Seabass, Rockfish, Pollock, Haddock, Redfish, Blackfish, Tilefish)|
|Medium shrimp||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, peeled and sliced|
|Ripe tomatoes/One 5 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained, seeded, and coarsely chopped||4 Medium, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped|
|Defatted chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Homemade Or Canned)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Jalapeno pepper/Several dashes cayenne||1 , seeded or minced|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Rice and peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 725 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.2%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 323.4 mg
Sodium 686.4 mg28.6%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.4%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 72 g143.6%
Vitamin A 87.3% Vitamin C 104.8%
Calcium 28.6% Iron 29.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cut the fish into 1 ½-inch square pieces and keep aside.
2. Remove the shells from the shrimp and keep aside.
3. In a large, heavy soup pot, heat the oil.
4. Add the onion and garlic to the oil and cook briefly, until the onion is softened and transparent, stirring.
5. Add the green pepper, carrot, and tomatoes and stir them in.
6. Next, add the broth, wine, hot pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat.
8. Cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Prepare the rice and peas by boiling the rice first with water for 15 minutes and then adding the peas with a little butter.
10. When the rice and peas is done, mix them with a fork.
11. Just before you serve, bring the sauce to a simmer and add the shrimp.
12. Cover the pot again and cook over gentle heat for 4 minutes, just until the shrimp turn pink, stirring once or twice.
13. Season the fish and add it to the sauce, pushing the pieces down into it.
14. Cover again and cook for 4 minutes longer, just until the fish is opaque.
15. In heated soup bowls, spoon out a portion of rice and peas.
16. Spoon the stew over the rice.
17. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
The ragout may be prepared ahead till the stage before adding the seafood.