- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Seafood Gumbo Recipe
|Reduced calorie margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped in all|
|Tasso/Lean ham||1 1⁄4 Ounce, minced|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped in all|
|Bell pepper||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), chopped in all|
|Sliced okra||4 Cup (64 tbs) (In All)|
|Peeled chopped tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Seafood magic||4 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon Chef Paul Prudhomme'S, In All)|
|Shrimp stock/Water||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Oyster||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peeled shrimp||1 Pound|
|Minced green onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Green Part Only)|
|Large oysters||1 Dozen (Or 2 Dozen Medium Pieces)|
|Crabmeat||1⁄2 Pound (Picked Over)|
|Hot cooked rice||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
Calories 619 Calories from Fat 82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.7%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 220.7 mg
Sodium 1349.9 mg56.2%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.4%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 50 g99.4%
Vitamin A 36.1% Vitamin C 132.3%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 71.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot or kettle place margarine over high heat.
2. Put in 1 cup chopped onions and the tasso, cook over high heat, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, about 3 1/2 minutes.
3. Put in 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell pepper.
4. Lower heat to medium, cover and cook about 2 minutes.
5. Take out the cover and add 3 cups okra and all of the tomatoes.
6. Mixing thoroughly, add 1 tablespoon of the SEAFOOD MAGIC and stir, scraping up all the caramelized browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
7. If this browned part does not come up easily, add 2 tablespoons of stock and scrape it up.
8. Put in the bay leaves and let it cook, covered, over high heat, occasionally stirring and scraping, about 8 minutes.
9. Stir in 1 cup of shrimp stock, scrape the bottom of the pot, cover and cook 12 minutes.
10. Put in the oyster liquid, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic.
11. Stir, using the liquid to help scrape the bottom of the pot.
12. Cover and let it cook 11 minutes.
13. Put in 4 cups stock, remaining 1 cup onions, 1/2 cup celery, 1 cup okra, 1/2 cup bell pepper and the remaining teaspoon of minced garlic.
14. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
15. Put in 2 more cups of stock and cook another 3 minutes.
16. Stir in the remaining teaspoon of SEAFOOD MAGIC and continue cooking for 8 minutes.
17. Put in the salt, cook 2 minutes, then stir in the shrimp, green onions, oysters and crabmeat.
18. Let it boil over high heat, then turn off heat and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
19. Take out the bay leaves before serving.
20. Serve 1 cup of gumbo over 1/2 cup rice in each bowl.