- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Okra Seafood Gumbo Recipe
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot sauce||5 Dash|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Frozen cut okra||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Frozen crabmeat||6 Ounce, undrained (1 Package)|
|Frozen cooked shrimp||12 Ounce (2 Package)|
|Oysters||1 Pint, drained|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2052 Calories from Fat 766
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g133.1%
Saturated Fat 24.2 g121.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 964.5 mg
Sodium 4624.7 mg192.7%
Total Carbohydrates 156 g52.1%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g66%
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 161 g321.3%
Vitamin A 47.1% Vitamin C 102.1%
Calcium 18.2% Iron 183.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a 3-quart Dutch oven and heat oil in it.
2) Add flour to this, stirring constantly.
3) Stir constantly again and cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture attains the color of a copper penny.
4) Take a small skillet and melt butter in it.
5) Sauté onion and garlic in this and cook until tender.
6) Add this to the roux mixture and stir well.
7) Slowly add water, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, bay leaves, salt, and pepper to this and boil for 1 hour.
8) Stir in okra and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to separate okra.
9) Mix in seafood and cook this over medium heat for 5 minutes till the oysters curl at ends.
10) Serve on cooked rice.