- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sea Bass in a Salt Crust - Italian Recipe Video
|Egg whites||3 Medium|
|Lemon zest||1 Medium|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), mince|
|Herbs||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped finely|
|Sea bass||800 Gram|
|Extra virgin olive oil||To Taste|
Calories 189 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.4%
Saturated Fat 0.69 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 54.7 mg18.2%
Sodium 277.3 mg11.6%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.19 g0.78%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 36 g72.8%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedCoarse salt - 6 cups (1 kg)
Table salt - 3 ½ cups (1 kg)
1. Wash the sea bass make sure it is gutted, keep it aside, and on a cutting board chop the herbs.
2. Make a mixture with spoonful of chopped herbs, minced garlic and a teaspoon of lemon zest and fill the belly of the fish with this mixture and keep the fish aside.
3. Prepare the coating for the fish, in a large bowl combine egg whites, remaining herbs and lemon zest to this add the table salt and the coarse salt.
4. Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment paper and preheat the oven at 390°F (200°C).
5. Make a bed of salt in the lined baking tray, about 6/10 inch (1 ½ cm) thick. Place the sea bass, lay it on the bed and cover with the coating mixture.
6. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven. After 40 minute take the sea bass out of the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes, then break the crust with a kitchen hammer.
7. Serve it with extra virgin olive oil, pepper or any dressing you like.
With this cooking method, we'll maintain and enhance the flavor of the sea bass, thanks to the protective crust of salt.
Before tasting, you must remove the head, the skin, cut into halves and remove the central bone.