- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scotch Cock-A-Leekie Recipe
|Stewing chicken||5 Pound, cut up|
|Onions||3 , quartered|
|Celery stalks||2 , slivered|
|Chopped celery leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Whole leek||12 , cleaned and sliced (With Top)|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled and diced|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1577 Calories from Fat 584
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g99.9%
Saturated Fat 18.3 g91.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 379.9 mg
Sodium 639.5 mg26.6%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.5%
Dietary Fiber 16.8 g67.1%
Sugars 27.2 g
Protein 128 g256.8%
Vitamin A 207.2% Vitamin C 188.3%
Calcium 47.2% Iron 101.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a kettle; put all ingredients except barley, leeks, potatoes and parsley in it and bring to a boil.
2) Simmer for 2 hours until chicken is soft.
3) Take off the chicken after straining the broth and cut into thin slices and keep aside.
4) Add barley, leeks, and potatoes to the strained broth and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
5) Arrange sliced chicken in tureen and spoon over the soup.
6) Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crusty bread and a salad.