- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scotch Broth Recipe
|Roasted lamb bones||1 Pound|
|Bones from a lamb roast||1 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped to make 2 cups|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Pearl barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||6 Medium, pared and finely diced to make 2 cups|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.4%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63 mg
Sodium 1071 mg44.6%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.4%
Sugars 7.4 g
Protein 22 g44.3%
Vitamin A 212.3% Vitamin C 29.9%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large kettle with cover heat lamb bones with water and half of the onion heat to boiling and then simmer 2 to 3 hours such that all meat falls off bones.
2. Into a large saucepan strain broth, let it cool, chill such that fat rises to top and skim off.
3. Using a measuring cup measure the broth, add water if needed to make 8 cups and return to kettle.
4. To the saucepan stir in remaining onion, barley, salt and pepper, simmer for 40 minutes with cover and stir in carrots.
5. Cook for more 20 minutes such that the carrots are tender.
6. To serve, into heated soup bowls ladle and sprinkle with parsley.