- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scotch Apple Tart Recipe
|Piecrust mix||22 Ounce (2 package, 9 1/2- to 11-oz each)|
|Tart green apples||6 , diced (6 cups)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (1 1/2 sticks)|
|Currants||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (packed)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Light or dark)|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
Calories 796 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 12.7 g63.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 78.3 mg
Sodium 613.5 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 137 g45.7%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.2%
Sugars 62.1 g
Protein 11 g22.5%
Vitamin A 15.2% Vitamin C 95.5%
Calcium 9.9% Iron 53.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the tarts according to the package instructions. Shape the dough into 2 balls and chill till required.
2. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper on a slightly damp surface. Roll one ball out to make 11-inch circles and use it to line a 8 3/4-inch quiche pan. Fold over the extra pastry and press the 2 layers of pastry together to make a double thickness around the edge of the pan.
3. Roll out the second ball of pastry to make a 9-inch circle. Place the quiche tin on top of the pastry and the use the pan edge as a guide to cut around the pan. With a pastry wheel, cut the pastry into 8 triangles. From the center, cut out and remove a circle 2 inches in diameter; discard, along with one triangle. Refrigerate 7 triangles and pastry-lined pan. Repeat with the remaining pastry.
4. Prepare the filling by paring, coring and dicing the apples
5. In a large3-quart saucepan, place the apples, butter, currants, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and 3/4 cup water. Place the pan on heat and boil on high heat till the fruit starts to break down. Reduce heat and then cook for 15 minutes till the fruit starts to get mushy. This will take 15 minutes
6. In another bowl, mix the rum with the cornstarch till smooth.
7. Add this to the hot fruit mixture and bring to the boil again while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let it cool completely
8. Divide the filling between the 2 pastry lined pans and cover the tins with the 7 pastry triangles, spoke fashion
9. In another pan, beat the egg yolk and the 2 teaspoons water with a fork. Brush this mixture on top pf the pies and bake for 40 minutes. These pies freeze well when wrapped with foil. Label and store. Just before serving, remove from freezer, unwrap one or both tortes and then bake in the lower part of the oven for 45 minutes. In the large 5 minutes of cooking, cover the pies with a sheet of baking foil to prevent over browning.
10. Serve warm or cold at room temperature with ice cream