- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Scones Recipe
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cream of tartar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Castor sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Egg||1 (Made Up To 1/4 Pint With Milk)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Required)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1387 Calories from Fat 375
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.7%
Saturated Fat 24.3 g121.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 302.9 mg
Sodium 1480 mg61.7%
Total Carbohydrates 228 g76.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.8%
Sugars 43.2 g
Protein 20 g40.3%
Vitamin A 26.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 6.1% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) In a large mixing basin sift flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar (or use 4 level teaspoons baking powder).
3) Cut in butter and add sugar.
4) Add egg and milk. Mix together.
5) Measure egg and milk and mix. Alternately add approximately 4 tablespoons milk to the egg.
6) Add egg and milk into the centre of the dry ingredients.
7) With a fork or blade of a knife, mix into a soft dough.
8) Lightly flour a surface and place the dough in it.
9) Pat or roll out to a thickness no less than 1/2 inch (1 cm).
10) With a sharp floured knife cut into squares or cut out rounds with a 2-inch (5-cm) floured cutter.
11) There will be 9-12 scones. Use up all the trimmings.
12) On a floured baking tray arrange the scones. Sprinkle flour over it.
13) Keep at the top of oven and bake for 10 minutes.
14) Serve warm.
To make soft light scones dust the tin and the scones with flour before baking.