- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Scarlet Summer Pudding Recipe
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick, Or More If Needed, At Room Temperature)|
|Day old white bread slices||20 , crusts removed|
|Ripe strawberries||4 Pint, rinsed and hulled|
|Raspberries||2 Pint, picked over|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped with 1 tablespoon sugar (For Garnish)|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Whipping With Cream, As Garnish)|
|Fresh mint sprigs||8 (For Garnish)|
Calories 486 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.8%
Saturated Fat 10.8 g54.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57.2 mg
Sodium 292 mg12.2%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.9%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.4%
Sugars 31.4 g
Protein 7 g14.2%
Vitamin A 15.6% Vitamin C 289%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Apply butter lightly on one side of each bread slice, keep aside.
2) In a large bowl, place the strawberries and coarsely crush a fork.
3) In a large non-reactive pot, simmer the strawberries for 15 minutes over a medium-low heat until they soften and release some of their juices, stirring occasionally. Skim off any foam, simmer on low heat .
4) Turn off the heat, then stir in the raspberries and sugar into the strawberries.
5) With a round 2-quart bowl or mold trim the bread slices and place in the bowl with the unbuttered sides towards the sides of the bowl.
6) In the bowl, place 1 cup of the berry mixture at the bottom over the bread. Cover with a layer of trimmed bread. Add 2nd cup of berries and cover with another layer of bread. Cover with a 3rd cup of berries and layer with bread. Cover with a 4th cup of berries and finish with a layer of bread.
7) Fit a exact fitting plate inside the bowl over the pudding. Place the bowl on a large plate and weight the pudding with about 2 pound can on top of the plate and place in the refrigerator overnight.
8) Invert the pudding on a large serving platter, spoon over the berry sauce and slice the pudding.
9) Serve the slices on individual serving plates, spoon over dollop of sweetened whipped cream and garnish each with a fresh mint sprig.